Wednesday, October 09, 2002



Still More Obsessive Lego Fiends

I've seen some pretty crazy Lego stuff on the web. Mind you, it's not really my bag - even as a kid, I don't think I ever had anything beyond your most basic Lego set, something you could maybe make a really crummy little house with or something along those lines. I find it endlessly fascinating, though, that there are people out there devoting so much time and energy into making ultra-complex structures from the interlocking plastic toys. These latest examples I saw on Boingboing are truly out there.

First off, we have someone making a reproduction of a work by the artist M.C. Escher, famous for incorporating optical illusion into his work - in this case, Ascending, Descending.

For sheer, hardcore Lego craziness, though, the prize has to go to this guy, who's Lego Harpsichord (above) took two years of planning and assembling. But for the steel strings needed to produce notes (oh yeah, it works - though it's less-than-listenable sound won't make it the choice of any concert players anytime soon) it's made entirely of Lego stuff.

No comments: