Friday, February 14, 2003



Exotic Sodas

     Outlaw Hemp Butterscotch? White Tail Birch? These are a couple of the out-there sodas profiled here. Only one of the bunch I've ever tried is Vernor's Ginger Ale, which I grew up on. Great stuff and I hadn't thought about it in years, but the stuff does tend to make you sneeze, like they mentioned in their review. Good, good stuff, wish I had a bottle of it. Incidentally, it's the oldest soda in the United States, first produced in 1858.
     It's funny, with all the choices out there as far as soft drinks go, it seems that 9 times out of ten I'll just grab a Mountain Dew. I like a lot of different sodas- the occasional root beer, the cherry-flavored stuff, cream soda- I guess my brain's just so hard-wired by advertising that, when faced with a myriad of choices in the convenience store cooler, I'll always unthinkingly grab whatever the media wants me to drink at the time and go along with the rest of the herd.
     Next time I'm faced with the prospect of buying a drink, I'm going to make it a point to take a moment, look around and go for something different.

No comments: